Thursday, April 13, 2006

I don't know what to say here any more. I don't want to let Nova's blog go unattended, but I'm not sure what else to add now. Surely his story isn't over, is it? I know that his impact on our world continues. I can't bear to think otherwise. So I'm going to continue to post about the things that prove that his tiny little fingers are still shaping this world in some way.

Today, I got an email from one of Nova's nurses. It brought tears to my eyes, and showed me another way that he left his mark. I'm posting it here, to share it with all of you who became so involved with his story, and with our family.

Erin,
I just visited your website for the first time. I have to tell you that I think you and your family are very special people. When work called to tell me that at that very moment Nova was passing away in your arms, I was at once sad that I couldn't be there and happy that I wasn't. I thought I wouldn't have anything to say to you. I thought how ironic that after you, Scott, and I had spent hours talking (well mostly you and I) that I wouldn't have anything to say. But at the funeral, I did not feel uncomfortable at all talking with you.

Nova's funeral was the first child's funeral I've ever been to and it was very difficult. But I am so glad I came. As nurses guarding over your children, I think it is important to see the whole story. What happens after you all leave CVRU, no matter what the outcome. But it also adds perspective to my life outside of nursing.

I feel very privileged to have been able to share in Nova's life with you. I loved Nova. I loved taking care of Nova. It would be awful to say that some children are not special, but some touch us, as nurses, in ways unexplainable. It is not by chance that you came to have favorite nurses. It is because we felt something special for Nova. People always ask me if I have to remain detached in order to do my job. But I feel just the opposite. I have to be able to become attached to some in order to do my job.

I will never forget Nova, you, or your family. I think that you all are so much more than meets the eye. I read the part of your website that said people offered an ear to listen but you wouldn't know what to say. Well, I don't believe that. You are truly gifted in the way of words. And I want to make sure you know that on any given night of the week, or even the weekend, you can call CVRU and talk to any of us. And you can call me personally as well. My number is XXX-XXX-XXXX. And you don't have to have anything earth shattering to say. I promise.

You and your family will be in all my prayers


posted by Erin @ 10:32 PM   2 comments



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Name:
Donovan "Nova" LeClair
Location:

Monroe, North Carolina
Bio:
Nova was our second child to be born with congenital heart defects. We lost our daughter at 12 days after open heart surgery in 2001. Nova was born 12/2/05, with Pulmonary Atresia with VSD. He lived 6 weeks after surgery, and passed away on April 6th, 2006. This blog is his story, and the on-going story of how our family is dealing with the loss of our beautiful boy.
View Erin Monahan's Complete Profile

Click Here to Donate



Our Links:


"Poetic Acceptance"
our website for grieving parents





Press Box and Publicity




This Site Has HEART

My site was nominated for Best Charity Blog!

Heart Kids
Forever Young Mommy Steps


Heart Links




Page best when viewed at 1024 x 768

online
Adult Dating
Visit NCBlogs
Listed on BlogShares